Friday 18 January 2019

Scones

I've tried lots of different recipes for scones. This one was from Rodda's, the clotted cream people. They should know what they're talking about. They were pretty good. I didn't have buttermilk, so I used a dollop, probably 2 tsp or so, of natural yoghurt made up to 150ml with the milk. Vanilla is down as one of the ingredients, but I didn't put it in. This is half quantity - there weren't many of us eating them.

225g SR flour
50g butter (I actually used Stork)
pinch salt
35g sugar
150ml buttermilk (or mixture of milk and a couple of spoons of natural yoghurt or sour cream)

Stir the salt into the flour, then rub the fat into the flour.

Stir in the sugar.

Mix in the milk until just combined - don't overwork it or your scones will be leathery. I found this made quite a wet mixture and added a touch more flour. The scones were hard to roll, but did come out deliciously light.

Shape into a ball, roll out to about 2cm thick, then use a pastry cutter to cut out rounds to the size you want.

Put the scones on a greased baking tray,  brush with beaten egg,  or with milk, or melted butter. I like to sprinkle a little sugar on the top at that point if I'm using milk or butter. Bake at 200C in a fan oven for about 10 to 15 mins until golden.

Serve with jam and clotted cream. I will leave the order you spread them on up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment